There is no stigma attached to getting head lice. Anyone can get them, whether you’re dark haired or fair, and wash your hair twice a day or once a week! The best way of controlling the spread of head lice is to watch regularly for signs and to treat those who are infected. We would recommend checking your child’s hair at least once a week.
What to do
- You can treat head lice without seeing a GP.
- Treat head lice as soon as you spot them.
- You should check everyone in the house and start treating anyone who has head lice on the same day.
- There's no need to keep your child off school if they have head lice.
- Children are allowed to return to school once the infestation has been treated.